After years of debate, the Los Angeles City Council on Wednesday, June 23, 2021, passed an ordinance giving renters new protections from landlords who harass them.
The ordinance lists a number of actions that could constitute harassment, including:
- Reducing the services outlined in a tenant’s lease (for example, taking away a parking space)
- Failing to perform necessary repairs
- Unlawfully entering a tenant’s unit
- Threatening physical harm
- Refusing to accept payment of rent
- Asking tenants to disclose their immigration status or threatening to report them to authorities
- Other repeated acts that “substantially interfere with or disturb the comfort, repose, peace or quiet of a tenant”
Tenants will be able to sue landlords for violating any of the provisions in the ordinance.
Here are other resources mentioned in the aforementioned article.